Professional Qualification for Headship - PQH(NI)
PQH (NI) is an accredited course for those aspiring to headship which is recognised as being equivalent to NPQH in England and has equal status with Welsh NPQH and Scottish Qualification for Headship.
The qualification has been redesigned to reflect the changing role of headship and of school leadership and to meet the needs of those whose leadership experience and expertise places them within a touching distance of headship.
PQH (NI) prepares aspiring headteachers for 21st century strategic leadership and management challenges in Northern Ireland schools.
PQH (NI) was first introduced in 1999 following steering and working group deliberations - involving all stakeholders and a formal consultation process conducted by the Department of Education which elicited unanimous support for the proposed model. A qualification to prepare teachers for headship, the model for PQH (NI) is a licensed adaptation of the National Qualification for Headship in England and reflects Northern Ireland's varying circumstances which include:-
- differences in scale - reflected both in the much larger proportion of small primary schools in Northern Ireland, and closer working relationships between the various education bodies, providing opportunities to pool expertise and resources;
- curricular differences - most noticeably in the implementation of the Revised NI Curriculum and the Entitlement Framework;
- system differences - including the ICT systems that reflect the NI Education Technology Strategy.
The Regional Training Unit is the designated Lead Body and Awarding Body for PQH (NI).
Benefits for Aspiring Headteachers
- Takes account of your professional development needs and your prior learning
- Improves and develops your strategic leadership expertise
- Develops key leadership and management skills
- Enables you to build on your leadership and management strengths
- Provides opportunities to work in different educational contexts
- Gives you the confidence and competence to take up your first headship within 18 months of application, so you will make a positive impact on your school, the lives of children, young people and their families.
NPQH materials have been contextualised by teams of professionals for use in Northern Ireland. The programme is founded on the National Standards for Headteachers. Through personalised provision designed to meet the individual needs of each ‘trainee headteacher’, the programme will give you the confidence, skills and professional knowledge to deliver the best for pupils and all members of the school community in your first headship post.
The National Standards
The National Standards for Headteachers, which define the knowledge, professional qualities and actions required for effective school headship within six key areas; have been contextualised for Northern Ireland to reflect the distinctive aspects of our schooling system. Download - the National Standards for Headteachers (NI)